Randal McGavock’s pride in his property, demonstrated in house, garden, and agricultural improvements, and the socio-economic status that came with such trappings, carried through, if not accelerated, in the next generation. A letter from Dr. A. B. Ewing to Mr. Hugh M. Ewing, postmarked November 3, 1845, announced, “Your cousin Jno. [sic] McGavock is bucking about as usual. By the time you return home he will have up a fine portico to his front door, yard enlarged, garden removed & serpentine walks to the house, etc., etc., etc.” (12)
The late nineteenth-century image of Carnton’s facade shows some of John’s alterations including a “fine portico to his front door…and serpentine walks.” The garden that was “removed” may have been Sarah’s flower garden, in order to enlarge the front yard. A restoration feasibility study conducted by garden historians and landscape preservation planners Doell & Doell, in the mid-1990s suggested that:
A smaller garden, perhaps cultivated by Sarah McGavock, may have stood south of the original dwelling house (the missing east wing). Its proximity to the primary façade of the residence, coupled with the persistence of specimen trees (hollies), suggests that it may have been more ornamental in character; perhaps a door yard flower garden or parlor garden. (13)
Additionally, the archaeological work conducted in February 1994 for the Doell & Doell study, revealed that “Access to the house lot was on the south, by way of an entrance drive lined with rail fences and cedar trees, perhaps resembling extant drives at The Hermitage.” (14)
This assessment is substantiated by the post-Civil War photo, which clearly depicts overgrown, mature red cedars along the front pathway to the house and lining that serpentine walk, which was completed c. 1847.
Whatever the intent in “removing the garden,” we do know that two major events occurred over the course of the next few years that would continue to define and enhance the property. The first, a political gathering, was described in this manner: “HEN Clay and Polk ran for the Presidency in 1846 …the most exciting election ever held in Tennessee…The convention was held on McGavock’s farm, in a grove of walnut-trees.” (15)
The second occasion, occurred on December 8, 1848, when John married nineteen-year-old Caroline (Carrie) Elizabeth Winder (1829-1905), of Louisiana. In the Carrie Ewing letter referenced earlier, the following words signal the gardening changes Carrie would lead, “When Uncle John McGavock married Caroline Winder, his cousin, she proceeded to change it [the garden] and continued to change it.” (16)
The focus, however, was not just on home and garden improvements. By the late 1850s Carnton’s milling operations were thriving, as attested in the Western Weekly Review:
The undersigned gives notice to the citizens of Williamson, that he has converted the Saw Mill of Barrett & McGavock into a Flouring Mill, and is now prepared to make as good flour as can be made anywhere. The machinery and bolting cloths are new and of the best quality, and he assures the public that they can have as good flour and as much of it to the bushel of wheat as can be obtained at the best mills, and he respectfully asks wheat growers to give his mill a trial. C.C. Barrett (17)
That “flouring mill” was put to good use. By 1869 an article published in a paper approximately 150 miles to the west reported:
We do not think there was ever in Middle Tennessee, a finer prospect for a splendid wheat crop than the fields now show. We have been especially struck with admiration by the field of Boughton wheat on the farm of Col. Jno. [sic] McGavock, near Franklin. It is the best field of wheat that we have seen this year. It seems to be a property of this species of wheat to grow out with more vigor and tiller out more profusely than any other variety….--Dixie Farmer (18)
The plantation, however, was well known not only for the home, garden, and grounds, but also for its first-rate agricultural pursuits. The Williamson County Agricultural and Mechanical Society held a county fair at Carnton on October 18, 1857, at which “Such items as reapers, mowers, wagons, cultivators, cider mills, harnesses, saddles, tinware, stoves, barrels, and all manners of livestock and livestock products could be seen at McGavock’s Grove.” (19)
By 1859, Col. John McGavock was president of the annual Williamson County Fair. An 1860 newspaper article glowingly reported that McGavock took premier spot for the “best improved farm over 200 acres”:
We can conceive of no higher compliment to a Planter than that which was paid to Col. John McGavock, of Williamson, by the Annual County Fair, lately held at Franklin. One of the handsome cups or prizes distributed by the commissioners was awarded for the best Farming Estate in the county, and of which Col. McGavock is the deserving recipient. Carnden—the premium place – …handsomely fenced at all points with rock wall and plank…its crops are inferior to none that our State has the year produced—its fruit-orchards are abundant in
their yield—its meadows are thickly carpeted with rich and valuable grasses— …and the ample groves of lotty wood which embrace so many acres of the tract, throw their shades over fields of perennial blue-grass…” (20)
Little did they know that the 1850s would prove to be the most prosperous period for Carnton. In the US Agricultural Census, Williamson County, Tennessee: 1860, the plantation documented $10,810 in value of slaughtered animals; $1,000 worth of farming implements and machinery; and a total farm value of $150,000. These peak valuations would never be realized again.
THE FALL
On November 30, 1864, the Battle of Franklin changed Carnton forever.
In a Minute Men Attention notice dated July 25, 1861, Williamson men were requested “for the purpose of drilling at Franklin in Col. John McGavock’s Grove.” Two months later, “On September 28, (1861) at Carnton, the home of John McGavock, Company F, Eighth Tennessee Cavalry Battalion (the “Williamson County Cavalry”) was raised with Captain James W. Starnes commanding.” (21)
Battle of Franklin is considered “one of the worst disasters of the war for the Confederate States army.” (22) During this tragic battle “Carnton became a field hospital for Confederate Gen. W. Loring’s division. By the middle of the night 300 suffering men jammed the house while hundreds of others spilled across the lawn and into outbuildings.” (23)